skip to Main Content
Mother Checking On Sick Daughter Laying In Bed

Anaphylaxis Treatment & Management

Anaphylaxis is the allergic reaction which can be very severe and life-threatening. People who suffer from Anaphylaxis have to very careful as a single allergen can put their lives at stake. Our body releases chemicals when an external substance or allergen comes in contact with our body but when the same reaction happens all over our body things can get quite serious. A person who is having Anaphylaxis reaction will have chemicals released in their bodies, and this will lower the blood pressure causing asthma attacks.


Some of the allergens include insect bites such as a sing from a bee, yellow jackets, hornets, fire ants etc. Medications and even food can cause such allergic reactions.


The symptoms of the reaction can be seen within minutes of beginning exposed to the allergen. However, at times it can take up to 30 minutes for the symptoms to occur.

Some of the signs and symptoms include severe itching of skin, low blood pressure, swollen tongue or throat, difficulty in breathing, asthma attacks, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, diarrhoea, rapid pulse etc.


Once the patient is taken to the doctor, he/she will ask the patient if they have had such allergic reactions previously. To confirm the diagnosis, you might be brought in for a blood test to check the enzyme level in the blood. You might also be taken in for skin tests which will help the doctors to determine the trigger.



Anaphylaxis attack can lower your blood pressure and can even make you choke to death. To help patients to breathe normally, CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) is done. Medications such as Epinephrine are given to reduce the response to the allergic substance. Cortisone is given to reduce the inflammation of air passages so that the patient will be able to breathe properly. Albuterol is given to help the patient to breathe easily.

Long-term treatment:

A series of allergy shots will help a person’s body to have a reduced allergic response and thus have reduced allergic reactions in the body. But this is mainly for insect sting trigger and other cases there are no treatments.

Once you are aware that you are allergic to certain things it is advisable to stay away with similar things and avoid all the triggers. If you know that you are prone to having such allergic reactions you might want to carry an auto-injector which can provide your body with the necessary epinephrine to slow down the allergic reactions.

Coping with the reactions:

Having such a life-threatening response to allergens is quite frightening. Having an emergency action plan will help you not to panic in an emergency situation. If you happen to have such severe reactions, consult your doctor and get a step by step procedure on what to do during such an event. Make several copies of the procedure and give it to your friends or family members so that they can take the necessary actions.